T4.4

T 2.7 Zoho Database

T 3.7

Sunday, July 22, 2012

T2.5. DB Research


A few years ago I made a blog website with Wordpress. It required that I use the MySQL database to store all the information such as blog posts and comments. “The MySQL database has become the world's most popular open source database because of its high performance, high reliability and ease of use.” [1] I had no idea what MySQL is and how it worked. To setup MySQL to use with Wordpress, I followed my hosting provider’s instructions and through their graphical interface I made a MySQL username and password.

After making a few posts in Wordpress and clicking around, I was curious how MySQL stored its information. I did some research on MySQL and ran the phpMyAdmin application that my hosting provider had installed. “phpMyAdmin is a free and open source tool written in PHP intended to handle the administration of MySQL with the use of a Web browser.” [2] phpMyAdmin intimidated me and I had no idea what to do. I did click on the tables used for Wordpress and saw that the data was stored similar to a spreadsheet.

Although I eventually lost interest in my website and deleted it, I learned for the first time what a database was and I Iearned about some MySQL basics. When researching MySQL I found many tutorials on it and it seems like the most popular database for simple websites. I was shocked to find out that “Sun Microsystems, Inc. (NASDAQ: JAVA) today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire MySQL AB, an open source icon and developer of one of the world's fastest growing open source databases for approximately $1 billion in total consideration.” [3] I didn’t know that an open source program could be worth that much money.


Answers to Questions:

1. Although MySQL is considered the easiest full-featured RDBMS, if there was any database error inside of software like Wordpress then I’d be clueless on how to manually fix it. I didn’t have a problem with MySQL, but I’ve been to websites that aren’t working and just display a MySQL error. I would have no clue how to fix an error unless I restored a backup of my database or contacted my hosting provider.

2. MySQL is open source and free. It has many books and training classes that also include other subjects like programming. Oracle owns it and they have the resources to improve it greatly. It can be used with not only small websites but for big websites. “MySQL is also used in many high-profile, large-scale World Wide Web products, including Wikipedia, Google (though not for searches), Facebook, and Twitter.” [4]

3. I suggest that MySQL makes a built in visual editor of tables and a point and click way of making search queries. For beginners like me, typing in queries to search through tables in a command line is intimidating. Third party applications that make MySQL tables visual such as phpMyAdmin are too complex for me.

Sources:
2.       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phpmyadmin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Task 2.4 Zoho



Zoho url